If you’re on the lookout for an unforgettable getaway in 2019, the Isle of Man could be the perfect retreat for you.
Situated right in the heart of the Irish Sea, and just a short ferry journey from Ireland, the Isle of Man has something to offer for all ages, interests and lifestyles. From short breaks and romantic getaways to action-packed adventures.
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company sailings for 2019 will be released for general sale on Monday 29th October, with more than 900,000 offer seats available during the year.
With sailings to Douglas, the island’s capital, operated by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, you can reach this unique destination from both Dublin and Belfast. The Company also offers return ferry crossings from English-based ports; Heysham and Liverpool (Birkenhead November – March). With the vessels offering comfortable and spacious lounges, on-board shopping, a selection of hot and cold food and open deck space, the leisurely ferry crossing is an ideal start to any holiday.
Ferry sailings to the Isle of Man will resume from Belfast on 7th April and Dublin on 18th April, predominantly serviced by fast craft Manannan.
So, why should you visit the Isle of Man?
- It’s a beautiful island with a rich heritage and its own fascinating history. Where else can you find ancient castles, medieval ruins, horse-drawn trams, the world’s largest working waterwheel, a Victorian steam railway and a 900-year-old monastery?
- It’s a UNESCO Biosphere region recognised for the way the island’s population and wildlife live alongside each other.
- The diverse wildlife from native tailless cats and wild wallabies to visiting marine life and migrating birds. The west coast is a hot spot for bird watchers with sightings of choughs, arctic terns, red kites and even puffins.
- The views are spectacular with rugged landscapes, beautiful scenery, sandy beaches and sparkling sea views around every corner.
- There’s 26 official Dark Sky Discovery Sites dotted around the island where you can catch sight of the Milky Way or the Northern Lights! Forget big city skylines – these night time views will blow you away.
- It’s perfect for all the family. Your little explorers can enjoy walking and hiking routes, coastal kayaking and Segway adventures.
- The island is home to glorious Victorian glens, mountain trails and countryside lanes perfect for exploring on your bicycles, which you can bring for free when you travel by ferry with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company.
- The island is home to the world-famous TT Races which sees riders taking on the 37.5 miles of road at more than 200mph! Explore the island when the races aren’t on to enjoy these legendary roads at a more leisurely pace.
- It’s home to the oldest continuous parliament in the world which is open to the public to explore. Or you can head to the ‘Old House of Keys’ in Castletown to debate key topics from the nations’ past including ‘Should motor racing be allowed on open roads?’ or ‘Should women get the vote?’.
- Its strong links to the women’s suffrage movement. Emmeline Pankhurst’s mother Sophia Goulden was from the Isle of Man and inspired her daughter’s passion for women’s rights. The Isle of Man changed the law to allow women to vote in 1881 – 31 years earlier than Ireland and the United Kingdom. You can find out more about this on a visit to the Manx Museum in Douglas.
- If you’re into architecture there’s plenty to see including the stunning Gaiety Theatre, one of the finest theatres designed by English theatrical architect and designer, Frank Matcham.
- The fresh seafood. Queenies – or queen scallops – were recently crowned the Manx national dish and are a must-try for any seafood lover.
With so much to do on the island an easy way to see everything is by bringing your vehicle with you. Enjoy the convenience of bringing your car, motorbike or bicycle and with no luggage fees, you can pack everything you need for a fun-filled getaway, with room leftover to take home some Manx goodies.
The ferry company has announced a range of car special offers available during 2019 including its popular five-day breaks, where two people can travel with a car from just £98/€116 each way.
For families planning ahead for their 2019 summer getaway, the Steam Packet Company will once again run its popular Kids Go Free Summer Special. Two adults travelling with a car between 2nd July 2019 and 29th August 2019 will be able to take up to three children for free.
If you’re travelling on foot you’ll still be able to find your way around easily as the island has great transport links via bus, taxi, heritage trams and steam train. Foot passenger adult fares start from £19.75/€23.75 and children from £10.75/€12.75. Infants aged under four continue to travel for free. To see all available offers in 2019 visit www.steam-packet.com/Offers.
Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Chief Executive Mark Woodward said: ‘We are pleased to announce our 2019 timetable and look forward to welcoming visitors, both first-timers and those who come time and time again, to our wonderful island in the new year.
‘There is something for everyone on the Isle of Man and I’d invite families, groups of friends, couples and solo travellers to take advantage of our great offers and discover the island’s magic in 2019.’
Bookings can be made online from 7:00hrs on Monday 29th October at www.steam-packet.com, where you will also find details of all special offers, including full terms and conditions.